Wednesday 13 April 2016

Sometimes I'm the Student

I think there comes a time in every teacher/student relationship when the roles reverse. Students that push the teacher to be better, think different, and take a step back and re-examine a situation are often the drivers for this. Toad is one of those students.

He and I are slowly finding a common ground. We are building communication often through miscommunication just like any great relationship does. We are mostly having fun and definitely both growing. There is a peace that is starting to settle in along with the trust.

Toad teaches me to trust the process. So often I know where I want to be and rush for the goal. Toad makes me break stuff down and celebrate the little victories that get me there. Life is a bunch of little things that add up to big things. I was happier with him trying to figure out what "down" meant then the actual behavior.

I am learning to slow down. I eat meals at the kitchen table now. I've lived alone for two years and developed poor eating habits. I try to stay in the moment and be present. Meals were something that got blurred with life. I'd have lunch while returning emails or eat breakfast standing at the sink. Not any more. Toad learns in a very specific way/place, so eating anywhere other then the table means starting at square one with training.

He makes me be clear on my intentions. No vague-well-you-get-my-meaning stuff works. Coffee is safe on the stand beside the sofa, (Brought to you by the Letter C)  not on the coffee table. The dremel is okay in the kitchen, not in the living room. So often we are unclear in our communications. He is making me take his point of view into consideration and to be clear about mine.  Just because its all mapped out in my head doesn't mean the world is in the same place. He makes me remember to meet people "where they are" not where I am.

Mostly, Toad is teaching me to believe. Believe that little steps lead to big progress. Believe that people and dogs come into our lives for a reason. Believe that I am exactly where I need to be.  Believe that blessings are often wrapped up in lessons. And just when I get too deep, he makes me believe I need a new chew toy.

No comments:

Post a Comment